Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Turn Around Three Times and Spit

I read an article yesterday about superstitions and the theatre. I found it on wikipedia when I was wondering about the origins of calling Macbeth "The Scottish Play."

For those who don't know, it's exceedingly bad luck to speak the name Macbeth in a theatre. There have been many stories over the years of theatre's burning down and going out of business, actors and friends having accidents or even dying. Some say it started with the first production of Macbeth, when some prop knives were accidentally replaced with real ones and an actor dies. (For a very amusing time, you can watch the Blackadder III episode "Sense & Senility.")

I made the mistake, early in my stage managing days, of thinking it was all a load of crap and that no one took it seriously. I was standing on the stage setting props for our show and we were talking about that story. In my foolishness, I spoke the word itself and found a flurry of angry actors pouncing on me. They made me go outside, turn around three times, and spit over my left shoulder. Swear to God. It's supposed to exorcise whatever demons are conjured up by mentioning the Scotsman.

Just like that episode of The West Wing where Sam "tempts the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing" on election day and they make him go outside and spit too... Sorry, that's the geek in me talking.

I don't normally consider myself a superstitious person, but when I think of all my "rituals" at the theatre, I find I have to reconsider. I have to sit in the same seat for every rehearsal. Everything has to be in it's place in the booth. (This could be superstition, or it could just be because I'm anal.) We have a basket that has to be somewhere on stage for all of our productions. The one time it wasn't, the show didn't do nearly as well as all the others have. We have a St. Brigid's cross that has been on almost all of the sets.

Usually, I'm perfectly willing to walk under a ladder, but I always stop myself from doing it when I'm at the theatre.

It's amazing the crazy stuff actors do for good luck. But, I figure that if it works, who am I to call them on it?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go find my four leaf clover.

No comments: