I went to see Jersey Boys at the Ahmanson Theatre in downtown LA. I sucked up my, "Ew, downtown!" issues and hopped in my car.
Fearing the Friday evening traffic would be a nightmare, I ended up being an hour and a half early for an 8pm curtain. What are you gonna do?
Fortunately, I had saved my leftover Subway sandwich from lunch and knew the pavilion outside the theatre would be a nice place to hang out for a while and people watch.
My favorite was the dad in his jeans and blazer with his maybe 7 year old daughter in tow. She was in her little black dress, Angeleno black flip-flops and, hand-in-hand with dad, was ready for a night at the theatre. (Miss you, Daddy!)
I ate my spicy Italian sandwich and drank my vitamin water. (No Coke for me!) I called my mommy and inquired after her recently root-canaled tooth. I lamented over the fact that I couldn't find my damned opera glasses. (Stop laughing.) I admired the fountain and tried to figure out the sculpture atop it. Anybody?
I can tell that you're wondering, "Was she all ALONE?!" And the answer is, "Yes!" My friends showed no interest in seeing Jersey Boys, so I told them they could all go to hell and went all by me onesy, savvy?
I finally wandered inside and found my seat. Sweet mother of Everest! You need oxygen masks up here! Now, I was really pissed that I hadn't found my opera glasses. (I said, stop laughing, you bastards!) Fortunately, they were renting them in the lobby. For $5 and my driver's license, I could see the sequins on their tuxedo lapels. Sweet.
A man and his wife came to sit next to me. As he ogled my boobs, he said I needed to get some new friends. He also insisted on singing along all through the show and, can I just say, he did NOT sound like Frankie Valli!
The show itself was miraculous! The audience loved every second of it and I thought they would spontaneously combust after hearing Christopher Kale Jones (Frankie Valli) sing "Can't Take My Eyes Off You." And I was with them every step of the way. It didn't matter that I wasn't alive in the heyday of the Four Seasons. Two and a half hours flew by and I didn't want it to end.
The best part? Watching those four guys and seeing the joy on their faces. They love doing this show so much. Even after the months and months of doing eight shows a week. Now that's awesome!
I drove home singing "Big Girls Don't Cry" and bouncing in my seat. Too bad they leave after Thursday...
"Vivaldi thought of it first."
"Some guy stole our name?! I'll talk to him!"
-Jersey Boys


1 comment:
Glad you enjoyed your night out. Wish I could have been there to hold your hand.
Critter
Post a Comment