One of the quirkier parts of my new job is the drive home.
First, there's the landfill from which emanates fascinating smells when the weather is over 60 degrees. Most of them have a hint of pine. Figure that one out.
Second is the "District of Sin" (my name for it). First, I pass the wholesale ice cream store and then, two blocks later, the wholesale XXX DVD store. Sounds like a good time, right?
Third is the very cool tree. It's on the parking strip in the District and the trunk is completely hollow, but one side is worn away so you can see inside. And despite all this, it's flourishing. Green and glorious. I'm hoping to get a picture of it one day.
Fourth is the cement "river" with four inches of stagnant, rat-infested water in the bottom. It's strewn with grafitti and all sorts of unsavoury garbage. The best part is the "No Swimming" sign right by it.
Last, and this is the best part, was the Lexus I was behind yesterday. In the back window, with a fluffy towel below it and a luxurious sunbeam above it, was a gigantic white cat. You know, like that cat that the Bond villain had. (What was his name, Josh?) It looked out of the window at me as if to say, "Yes, Jeeves and I are out on the town today. A trip to the Turkish baths, a stint on Rodeo Drive, and then off to the Club for brandy and cigars." It made me wish I could join him.
What about the grocery story with the mini carnival in the parking lot? Well, it's long gone.
And what about the latino gentleman riding the dappled grey horse that would mike mother go all giggly and googly-eyed? I still see him occasionally.
This is why I take surface streets instead of the freeway. You never see this stuff zooming along at 70 mph. Try it sometime. You might see the sign for the restuarant "HUNAN TASTE" that (I swear to God) looks like it says "HUMAN TASTE." Really.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment