The Solstice is my preferred religious winter holiday. Christmas is about family and food, but Solstice is more about my beliefs. Solstice (for those who don't know) is the shortest day of the year and the longest night. For those of us who practice more... nature centered religions, this day is the celebration of the return of the light. The days start getting longer and it stays light later. It's pretty simple, really. And a lovely idea if you think about it. It's been cold and nasty and dark and with the 21st of December, all that turns around.
Now, I don't have any special traditions to go with Solstice like I do with Christmas, but my mom and dad and I have a glass of wine with our tasty dinner and drink a toast to the very beginning of spring. Blessed be.
Friday, December 16, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment