Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Mama Bear Complex

Seeing as it's coming up on Mother's Day, I thought I'd share a couple of stories about the two women who have guided and protected me all my life. Since I can't hug them, I give them this instead.

We were driving to, I believe, Yellowstone many years ago and had stopped at a campground for lunch and a potty break. Grandmother was in the loo and I was waiting outside, holding her glasses. Just as she came out, a yellow jacket landed on my hand and stung my finger. I was about ten years old and promptly burst into tears at the unexpected pain. I've never seen a woman go Mama Bear faster than she did then. She flicked it off my hand and stomped it into the ground. It was no more than a smear on the cement by the time she was finished. She wrapped her arms around me and hurried me over to the ice chest. With some ice to take down the swelling and the sting, my tears slowly ceased and all was well again. I had been avenged.

She also makes the best gin and tonic this side of the Colorado River.

The only woman who protects me more fiercely than Grandmother is Mum. There was a day in elementary school (and you'll have to forgive me if I don't remember this perfectly) when I was waiting outside for her to pick me up. Being that it was winter in Utah, there was about an inch of ice covering the blacktop and there was a boy who was man-handling me in some way. Now, from what I hear, Mum saw this from afar and launched herself, heels and all, after this kid and hauled him up by his biceps and shook the bejeezus out of him. "How does it feel? Huh?" I imagine she was quite the sight to see.

As valiantly as they watch over me, they still knew when to let me go. Flattering, really. Oh, don't mistake me! They still keep an eye on me.

My dad was hoping my mom would have a girl because of the wonderful relationship all the women in this family have. We both got lucky. Happy Mother's Day, Possum! Happy Mother's Day, GM!

No comments: