Monday, September 08, 2008

PBS Has Never Frightened Me Before

While channel-surfing sans sound the other night, we came across some scary dudes in suits singing on a stage. This was on KBYU, the local public television station sponsored by, you guessed it, BYU. I figured it was going to be some highly amusing "Joseph Smith"-singing thing that would make me pee my pants with laughter. I said, "Turn it up," with more than a little glee in my voice.

Within the first five seconds, I recognized it as one of the last choruses of "Into the Fire."

My favorite song from The Scarlet Pimpernel, the musical that changed my life, that should only EVER be sung by Douglas Sills, and here's this lame-ass dude in a faky white wig belting it out.

I gasped. And I hate gasping.

Mum figured it out almost as fast as I did and said, "Oh no..."

Even my dad figured it out, after a minute.

After the horror died down, we laughed really hard.

You probably had to be there.

No comments: