Wednesday, August 06, 2008

The Fair and My Susceptible Sinuses

Now, that I'm back in the land of my people, I'm trying to adjust to those sections of humanity that you just don't really see in L.A.

This morning, for instance, I went to the Weber County Fair with my mummsy. She was manning a booth for a few hours and thought I might enjoy seeing the baby lambs and taking advantage of the free admission on this, the first day of the fair.

We found a whole room full of rabbits, waiting to be judged and were warned that they MIGHT bite us if we touched them. There was an enormous white fluffy one that made me think of Lennie in Of Mice & Men and of the horrible death the bunny would have faced if he ever met Lennie.

There was also a room full of giant, mean-ass roosters that did NOT want to be in cages and were taking it out on the roosters in the cages next to them. Or by crowing at the top of their lungs.

The lambs that were being shown seemed quite put out that they were being made to stand in a pose while a judge prodded their nether regions and looked at their teeth. I saw one that was trying to drag the little girl who was showing it right off her feet.

By this point, my eyes had swollen to twice their usual size and I had enough mucus in my head to make me resemble Jabba the Hutt. Whether it was from the goat dander, the hay, or all the poo, I wasn't sure, but I was ready to get the hell out of there. Especially considering the "beer of the day" was Coors Light. Ick.

I have to say, I highly respect these people for loving this life so passionately and being willing to take on such a daunting task. After all, because they are willing to do it, it means I don't have to see the Giant Hog who weighs over 1000 lbs. Seriously, if you're in the Weber County area in the next four days, you can see it for all of 50 cents. You know you want to...

No comments: