Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sing It, Boys!

When I first got to Utah, my dear Mummy told me about something called A Cappellastock. Think Woodstock, but with super cute guys singing harmony instead of Roger Daltry destroying guitars. Since I'm such a sucker for guys singing together, I thought, "What the hell? Let's go!"

Shortly after that at my TEN year highschool reunion (very weird to think it's been ten years), they were raffling off various different lame prizes. Just when I was looking for the cocktail waitress to bring me another weak gin and tonic, they mentioned two tickets to A Cappellastock. My ears perked up and then they called someone else's name. My old friend Melissa won them instead. Damn!

A couple of the more mormon heads nearby turned around at my involuntary expletive and I, reluctantly, gave them an apologetic look. Melissa, who was just passing through town, was kind enough to give me her two tickets.

After an upgrade courtesy of my dearest mommy, my parents and I were ready to go! Last Saturday, we hauled ourselves down to the Ogden amphitheatre and squatted on the grass until our seats were in the shade.

The pre-show entertainment were the Saltaire's, who are about 25 guys, singing traditional barber-shop songs and a few spiritual hymns thrown in. They were fabulous to listen, but kind of dorky to look at. I say that with all due respect, of course.

The main show started at 8pm and was fan-damn-tastic! High Fidelity was this strange little group that combined Trekkie humor with songs that ranged from Danny Boy to their own orginal Trekkie songs. They made my dad crazy, but I thought they were funny.

Thw two highlights of the evening were Tonic Sol-Fa, who kick major ASS, and XRP which is short for Ex-Rockapella. Yes, the dudes from Carmen Sandiego. Apparently, they haven't done anything in years, but they still sound pretty damn good.

We had a grand old time and I can't wait for next year! And you know what? I'm pretty sure you'd never see this kind of thing in L.A.

No comments: