Tuesday, March 13, 2007

A SM's Real World

I am lovingly cocooned in my little stage managing world. Protected and buffered from the outside world by my lovely Banshees, but I got a dose of what it's really like for stage managers this week.

My fabulous theatre company had two productions last year and BOTH have won Backstage West Garland Awards for Best Ensemble. The reception for the winners is invitation only. I stage managed both of them, worked my ass off for both of them. Did I get an invitation to help my friends and colleagues celebrate in their time of glory? No. I kept thinking, "Surely, they'll include me!" But other people got their invites and my mailbox was empty. I have to say my heart broke just the tiniest bit when I realized I wasn't getting one.

My fellow Banshees know I was part of the ensemble. An extra penitent in the Magdalene laundries during Eclipsed and an extra docker slinging heaves in Dockers. An integral part of each show. I was at every rehearsal, every show, set all the props (stinky laundry and fake booze galore), ran the lights and the sound... You can tell I'm more than a little frustrated. The actors/director are always blissfully appreciative of the work I put in. The cast of Eclipsed even bought me a facial at a local spa after the show closed. But, not everyone is as classy as Banshee.

Fortunately, everyone who was invited gets to bring a "guest." So, I do get to go (I'll try not to be bitter), instead of sitting at home brooding in my pajamas, while eating chocolate ice cream out of the carton and watching bad re-runs.

I looked on the internet this morning and I can find a few measly awards for student SM's, but bupkiss for those of us in the "real world." No Garland Awards, no Ovation Awards, and certainly no Tony Awards. Designers? Bet your ass? Directors, producers, composers, actors? Of course, it goes without saying! If someone out there knows why SM's are so egregiously over-looked, please let me know.

Well, for myself and the other stage managers out there, who work our asses off and you know we've done a good job because they DON'T mention us in the reviews, know that we don't begrudge the actors their moment in the sun, just let us be there to lift a glass as well.

1 comment:

Recovering Mormon said...

You're right baby. There is no good reason that the SM's are left out in the cold. If we won a best production award I do believe you would get an invite, but for best ensemble...it's just the actors. Sean, the director, didn't get an invite either, if that makes you feel any better.

We could not have done it without you though. Make NO mistake.