Thursday, January 08, 2009

Sex and the Nation

Today was the beginning of the "Great Americans" unit in my American Civilization class and the professor went around the room asking us for one of our favorite Americans.

I started it off with Abraham Lincoln, cause he rocks.

The chick next to me continued with Martin Luther King Jr.

Next? Barack Obama. (Hooray!)

Then? Sarah Jessica Parker.

Wait. What?!

Imagine a seriously confused and vaguely affronted look on my face. And on the professor's. There was a pause and he said, "Who's that?"

He's just slighty older than dirt, so I completely understood his question.

I'm just as fond of Sex and the City as the next girl. Yes, I have all the episodes on DVD. Yes, I've had days with my girlfriends where we marathon and drink Cosmos. But Sarah Jessica Parker as a favorite American? Really?

I could probably come up with at least a hundred people that were/are more influential/crucial to our country, but that's me.

I doubt that the "Great Americans" unit is going to include Carrie Bradshaw.

No comments: