Thursday, January 19, 2006

Queen of Quotations!

I am a quote FANATIC! I thought I’d share a small fraction of my favorites!

“For all times coexist and the future can sometimes affect the past, even though the past is a road that leads to the future.”
-The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper

“And below, in the cool cellar, lie row upon row the dusty bottles, each an enchanted glass coffin in which the sleeping beauty of the vine grows ever more ravishing in sleep.”
- “The Bibulous Business of a Matter of Taste” by Dorothy L. Sayers

“Roses are for love. Not forget-me-not, honeysuckle, silly sweethearts’ love but the love that makes you and keeps you whole, love that gets you through the worst your life’ll give you and that pours out of you when you’re given the best instead.”
- Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley

“You have witchcraft in your lips, Kate.”
-Henry V by William Shakespeare

“All right, that’s confiscated. All of it. And I want you on the next transport off this rock or I’m gonna shoot you where it don’t grow back.”
-Men in Black

“Did you know that your navel is a good place to keep salt when you’re eating celery in bed?”
-Red Noses by Peter Barnes
(For Andrew.)

“His whole manner suggested one continuous train of solid, round, furry thought, and he was mumbling softly to himself.”
-The Mouse and His Child by Russell Hoban and David Small
(Furry thought! I love it!)

“Why don’t we put a camera on your head? That way we can get your POV. Julie-cam!”
-Speechless
(Just for you, Possum!)

“Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thought on the unthinking.”
-John Maynard Keynes

“Your actions today would get the Archbishop of Canterbury declared non-compos.”
“I’m not the Archbishop of Canterbury!”
“That will come at a later stage of your illness.”
-What the Butler Saw by Joe Orton

“A book reads better which is our own, and has been so long known to us, that we know the topography of its blots, and dog’s ears, and can trace the dirt in it to having read it at tea with buttered muffins.”
-Charles Lamb
(For anyone who has seen me read the same book 15 times!)

“Death is just another path. One we all must take. The gray rain curtain of this world rolls back and it all turns to silver glass. . . and then you see it. . . . White shores. . . and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.”
-The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien (Tweaked by Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, and Phillippa Boyens)

“They sent me two turkeys. The more photo-friendly of the two gets a presidential pardon and a full life in a children’s zoo. The runner up gets eaten.”
“If the Oscars were like that, I’d watch.”
-The West Wing, “Shibboleth” by Aaron Sorkin (and his cronies)

“Possum is nasty!”
-An unknown soldier of the Civil War, quoted from Mine Eyes Hath Seen
(For Sean.)

“At last the secret is out,
As it always must come in the end,
The delicious story is ripe to tell an intimate friend;
Over tea-cups and in the square the tongue has its design;
Still waters run deep, My Dear,
There’s never smoke without fire.”
-W.H. Auden

“I will buy you a coat. Chinchilla. Something that was once small and innocent, but is now . . . a coat!”
-Tango ‘til They’re Sore by Matthew Hancock
(For Robyn!)

“I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.”
-BlackAdder Goes Forth

“Union rules. I can’t examine this guy’s seeping gonorrhea this close to lunch.”
-House, “Autopsy”

“I’ve woken to a dream of Africa; to torchwood trees and veldts and the rustle of savannah grass. This is a land of wonder, of drums in darkness, of wild teak and nesting doves. All around me, the rhino ambles, the zebra quietly roams, and tall birds wade along the deep lake’s edge. Who knew the velvet ink of night, the splendor of the sun above the mountain’s rim? Leopards weave their trails across the landscape of my heart. Here is a mystery for my spirit as it softly wanders; a riddle for my seeking soul: Africa has spoken, whispering, just drink of me, and I will share the secrets of the Earth.”
-Debra Bokur (Found on a Celestial Seasonings box!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent taste in quotes!