I recently went to visit my clan in Utah. When I got there, my dad greeted me with the news that one of my favorite actors had died. John Spencer was amazing on The West Wing. If you ever saw an episode, you know what I mean. (Particularly the episode "Bartlet for America," for which he finally won an Emmy!) He leant gravitas and poise to the show and watching him act was a pleasure. I loved watching him interact with his colleagues and, as much as I love the rest of the cast, Leo was always my favorite.
When they did that dumb-ass stunt of giving him a heart attack last season, I was the first to swear profusely and turn off the TV. (Me and Sean. That's why I love you, man.) I was reluctantly and only vaguely pulled back in. But, when it hit me that he would be running for Vice President, I was willing to give the whole thing another shot. My interest has been waning in the last few months and now that John Spencer has passed into that fabulous theatre in the sky, I'll be hard pressed to keep my interest up.
I can see how this new fangled, realistic West Wing would capture the public, but I have to say that I desperately miss the idealistic world of Aaron Sorkin. The beauty of the writing and the fabulous mix of humor and profundity. The DVD's let me remember how wonderful it was.
So, here's to John Spencer. I won't forget him easily and I hope that where he's gone he can drink as much scotch as he wants.
"If the president's wearing a hat or that thing has a Bartlet button, I'm hiding snakes in your car."
"Leo, don't say that! Not even as a joke!"
"You'll never know how many there are or if you got 'em all out! Gonna lay their eggs right in your glove compartment."
Thursday, January 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment