Monday, April 24, 2006

James Bond, eat your heart out!

My Auntie was in Washington D.C. last week and visited the Spy Museum at the Smithsonian. We were sitting at Sunday dinner last night and she was telling me about this one particular spy who was a double agent during WWII and was a HUGE contributor to making the D-Day invasion a success!

I was intrigued. I thought, "There has to be a kick-ass book out there about this guy." And then, "Why the hell has no one made this into a movie?!"

Well, I did a little research today (I love the internet!) and found his story on MI5's website. Naturally.

His name was Juan Pujol, but his code name was GARBO and he invented 27 agents. A whole network of fake people to help him feed misinformation to the Germans. He made them think that the Normandy invasions were simply a ruse and the BIG invasion was still to come and that when it did come, it would be further to the North. The Germans actually set troops aside to wait for the 150,000 men, rather than adding them to the D-Day contingent.

Here's the best part! The Germans were so impressed with his dedicated service that they awarded him the Iron Cross.

For his whole story, and bios of three of his fake agents, go here!

I doubt he got a girl named Pussy Galore, though.

No comments: